2nd Annual "Tennessee Style" Fiddle Contest
We invite you to attend and participate in the 2nd annual “Tennessee Style” fiddle contest at Hoedown On The Harpeth. Beginner and intermediate fiddlers will compete with fellow-aged fiddlers for cash prizes and ribbons in the following groups: Tadpole 0-10, Junior 10-14, Middle 14-18, Senior 60+. The Open Championship will also have a cash prize and is a fine chance for fiddlers to showcase their contribution to Tennessee Fiddling – it is open to any age and whoever thinks they've got it!
The Fiddle contest will take place at 1pm on Saturday, October 13 2018 in the Hayshed Barn. Registration will take place BOTH FRIDAY AND SATURDAY in the merchandise tent. Registration closes at 12:30 on Saturday before the contest. We recommend arriving early to save seats for your friends and family. Registrants and their guests age 13 and older are required to purchase a day or weekend pass to the festival; there is no registration fee.
The purpose of the contest is to promote and perpetuate the rich tradition of fiddling in the Middle Tennessee area among children, adults and everyone in between. We also wish to promote jamming, learning, preserving old fiddle tunes, educating the public about this rich heritage of ours, and fun in general.
The judging committee is looking for good fiddlers, not a specific style. Goal is to promote and showcase fiddlers, foster interest in fiddling, and provide a positive atmosphere for all.Contestants will be judged on Timing, Tone, Execution, Expression/Feel, Overall Impression. Fiddlers: bring tunes that are, for example, bluegrass or old time, indicative of the rich musical heritage of Tennessee and surrounding region. Think about the great fiddlers who have played on the Grand Ole Opry throughout the years, and the fiddlers who supported country and bluegrass singers throughout their careers. Consider the musicianship and craft of fiddlers reaching for new heights, yet reflecting on tradition. Great examples of fiddlers who came from or brought their lasting lasting influence to Tennessee include Arthur Smith, Howdy Forrester, Benny Martin, Paul Warren, Vassar Clements, Kenny Baker, Buddy Spicher, Tommy Jackson.
• Fiddle contests will begin at 1pm SHARP on Saturday 13 October 2018 in the Hayshed Barn and will progress in age order and end with the Open Championship
• Who may participate: Open to any fiddlers in their respective age divisions or ANY/ALL in the Open Championship. Not open to professional musicians or musicians performing onstage at HOTH 2018.
• All contest entrants (and those in their attending party) 13 years old and older must purchase a HOTH Saturday or weekend ticket to enter contest. Festival Tickets are $25-40 available online here and at the gate. All children 12 years and under get in free. Discounts $5 for military/musicians/seniors 65+ at the gate.
• There is NO contest registration fee. Registration is onsite. Contestants may enter ONLY one category.
• Contestants will perform two tunes of choice at three minutes each
• Contestants going over the three-minute song limit will be penalized
• Contestants missing their turn will be penalized
• No-Shows will not be allowed to participate in HOTH 2019 Fiddling championship
• Cross-tuning is allowed
• If a string breaks, contestant is allowed to stop, leave the stage to repair the string; they will be re-entered and called again at random to start over where they stopped
• A tie may be broken by an elimination round, so come prepared accordingly
• Contact microphones and amplified instruments will not be allowed
• No trick fiddling
• No sheet music
• Any contestant winning a prize must be present to appear on stage and accept the prize or the prize is forfeited
• Categories/ divisions and number of songs may be eliminated, combined, or changed by the judges as attendance requires
• Winners shall be announced by the Judges following the final division contest
Winners will be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility AND must stick around for a group photo
• All decisions of the Judges and of the Contest Chairman are final
Lineup Announcement Happening Friday May 18 Stay Tuned For Details!